If You Aren’t Totally & Ridiculously In Love With Your Life…

Change it.

Sounds crazy and kinda scary and perhaps unrealistic and like something you’ll consider doing tomorrow or next year or in five years or your next lifetime?

Yep. Know the feeling.

fallinlovewithyourself

Believe it or not, even though I am super spontaneous in many ways and I have made some huge, life-altering decisions that have lead me to writing The Balanced Blonde full-time and building a business & brand out of the bloggy; I am also the queen of ROUTINE. Not routine in the sense that I like to follow a specific schedule, because anyone who knows me knows that that is absolutely false, but routine in the sense that any form of huge change terrifies the living daylights out of me.

When I was young and one of my parents would get a new car, or god forbid they would redo our kitchen and then our entire house (happened so many times!!!), I would get extreme anxiety and wish endlessly for everything to go back to how it had once been.

00a2fd1716de99dc1a0f3438b04d158f

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I went to the same school with the same people for fourteen years straight, but the thought of big changes in any way, shape or form totally terrified me. If they even got rid of a painting in our house I demanded to sit and talk to it and let it know that it wasn’t ugly… it was just moving on to its next adventure. (Okay, maybe I was a little crazy.)

This penchant for sameness followed me into college when I missed home desperately and always felt a lot more comfortable in the comfort of my hometown than I did at my university. Don’t get me wrong, I loved college, made tons of friends and thrived in the social and academic atmosphere, but if I had the luxury of picking and choosing I would have chosen home over school any day of the year.

Shifts-and-transitions

In the years since then, I have learned so much about myself. So much in fact that sometimes I look back and think what the hecckkk, I can’t believe I used to do so many things I didn’t like and hang out with so many people who didn’t 100% fulfill me or lift me up. But that’s what growing up is for (excuse the cliché there, but it’s true)… it’s for learning what works for you and what doesn’t work for you, what you love and what you don’t love, what makes you ridiculously happy and what makes you feel kind of “eh.”

And now here I am, looking back on the last year of my life and realizing I have made some HUGE changes in favor of living my happiest life and being as comfortable and content in my own skin (and career) as I can possibly be. I left grad school, I transitioned out of my vegan diet, I moved from NYC back to LA, I distanced myself from a few people I needed to distance from, got closer to others, enrolled in a health coaching program, and even started turning down certain opportunities in favor of having more time to pursue what I DO love. And those are just a few big things… I have done plenty on a smaller scale too.

images As far as small scale goes, the biggest change I have made in the past few years is how much time I spend alone. When I was in college, I spent about zero minutes of the day being alone. If I was alone for a full hour at a time I freaked out and immediately made up for it by filling the rest of my week with back-to-back plans and commitments. Now I spend a TON of time alone (or at least try to whenever I can swing it!) and I absolutely adore it.

I take time out of my day to meditate, exercise alone (usually), listen to music, read, go on walks, breathe, take baths, write for pleasure vs. for work, stretch, relax and most of all to THINK. And usually what I find myself thinking about is how freaking happy I am with the way things have been going.

Making-a-big-life-change-is-pretty-scary-but-know-whats-even-scarer-regret

Sometimes making changes in your life requires doing things that other people in your life simply don’t understand. For instance, I drove home to Sacramento this weekend (6 hours from where I live in LA) because I felt like it and because I felt like it would be a smart choice so I could work on the book all week. Virtually no one completely understood why I would do that so impulsively, but I knew how right it felt so I was able to feel super good about it.

If you feel like you want to make a change in your life…. From something as serious as starting to get over an eating disorder or change your career path, or something as small as spending five minutes each day alone with your own thoughts or adding a new workout class into your routine, DO IT.

You have the power to make a change in your life. You are in control, and you deserve to be ridiculously and utterly happy every single day. I know it’s scary and it might require some extra work in other areas (picking up a side job, doing the dirty work of ending a relationship that is no longer serving you, making the plans to make a big move happen) but it is SO worth it.

190296_2524528009149_725536301_n_large

Basically I started eliminating the time that I spent dreading doing things that felt like either social or work obligations… and started filling that time with things that totally served me. And this morning, even though I was a little stressed about the amount of work I have ahead of me this week and a little annoyed at myself for leaving a bunch of things I need in LA, it hit me that those things are tiny and trivial and when I stop and think about my life and my week overall… I am freakishly happy.

Everyone deserves that happiness. All the time. Let’s do it.

Also…. This is what my book, Breaking Vegan, is all about. It is coming out next October and I am so excited it’s almost ridiculous. I will be working on it all week… wish me luck, and feel free to send encouraging emails. They help more than you know!

SO much love to all of you!

life111 Have you ever felt like you wanted to make a huge change but didn’t know where to begin?!

52 thoughts on “If You Aren’t Totally & Ridiculously In Love With Your Life…

1. Ashley Rae

Love love love love love love love everything about this post. When I saw my email notification that you wrote about Falling in Love with Yourself I stopped and read it immediately. We’re clearly more than just car twinsies because I wrote a post today called “Fall in Love with Yourself” – entirely different content though. We only live once and we need to make the most of it. AND write away little butterfly – you’re making magic and you can do it! xoxox

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Well I can’t say I am entirely SHOCKED that you and I were 100% on the same wavelength today… it seems that we are just kindred spirits from afar & I absolutely love it. :))) Car twinsies, blonde twinsies, balanced + accepting + falling in love with our lives kind of chicas, HEALTHY, etc. etc. I just love it. And love you!! You are making magic too. So many thrilling things to come :) xoxox

1. Ashley Rae

All of these things are the absolute best! I write for the Body Book and I was chatting with Amanda today about doing a little meet & greet….so that means I’d come to LA and hang out for a bit and this also means then we need to hang out and be blonde twinsies sipping on juice/dancing forever/eating all the greens/loving life together. Definitely.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

YES! How wonderful. I just met Amanda at the Well+Good event the other day. :) Come to LA!!! Come next week so you can come to my launch party? Heheh wishful thinking? Can’t wait to meet and hang out.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Hi Rachel!! Sorry– I should have further explained. The #fallinlovewithyourself movement is a challenge I am putting on for myself and for all of my readers and followers to participate in. Hashtag your photos on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook that encapsulate moments of you falling in love with your life! Whether that be writing, making a yummy dessert, treating yourself to a healthy meal or a pedicure, etc… anything that evokes total and utter happiness and passion!! Would love to have your participation. The challenge is never-ending, because falling in love with ourselves is something we can always work on! Xox

2. Abbey Jones

I can’t even explain how much this post resonates with me. I never thought I was that obsessive, routine-loving type of girl until I got to college…but like you, I spent 14 years going to school with the same people, and when it was time for that to change, as much as I thought I was going to love it was how much I actually ended up hating it. I threw myself a huge pity party my freshman year of college (yes, the entire year), and wanted to go home so bad I made myself sick. However, my parents told me that I wasn’t allowed to change my mind again if I came back home to go to community college, so I came back for sophomore year. And let me tell y0u, sophomore year makes me think freshman year happened to a whole different Abbey. I am involved in clubs. I swim. I have made so many more friends. Not to brag, but I’m KILLING IT in school. And, I make time to do things that make me happy. Like you, I exercise mostly alone (except for the days I go to swim club) and I live in a studio apartment so I have my time to myself outside of classes and clubs and social life. I hate looking back to the girl I was a year ago, but at the same time I am so grateful for what that year taught me. I am in love with my life now and all it took was me deciding that I needed to change a few things for that to happen. The concept is so simple, I wish more people were able to grasp it. Maybe if they were smart enough to start following your blog, that would happen. :)

xx

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Oh my goodness, Abbey! I just read your comment over and over again because it’s crazy how many similarities we have and also because I am SO happy that you are falling in love with your life and that you’ve found a way to totally love college even though you found it difficult to do so in the beginning. I truly believe that going through the difficult and challenging times is what we need in order to come out on the other side and LOVE our lives in every way, shape and form. Without the perspective of being on the opposite end, there is no way for us to fully appreciate the beauty of doing what we love. I am so proud of you and so thrilled for you that you have found more balance, peace and happiness. It truly is an ever-evolving practice, and you have found it very young which is WONDERFUL! Sooo much love to you, today and always! You inspire me!

1. Abbey Jones

Aww thank you so much! YOU inspire me, lady, and I feel so lucky to have found you. I feel so lucky to have figured out this whole balance thing at only 19-20, and I’m hoping it’s something that can stick with me for the rest of my life.

I do have to say, starting to practice yoga has helped me more than I could have imagined. I used to scoff at yoga, thinking it wasn’t “real exercise” because I wouldn’t be a hot mess at the end like I am when I use the elliptical or do a circuit workout. However, after seeing how much peace and balance it has brought to your life, I gave it a try as a supplement to some of my other workouts. I am amazed at not only how centered and relaxed it makes me, but how much stronger I feel now that I practice a few times a week. So thank you so much for helping me to change my life in that way. :) xx

3. Lauren

I really loved reading this lady, very inspiring and thought provoking . “You have the power to make a change in your life” – yes, yes, yes!!

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Aww, yay, thank you Lauren. It’s so true and I think you are a fabulous example of that as well. Everyone deserves to love every ounce of their lives!! Xox

1. Jordan Younger Post author

I am so happy toooo!! Even though it might pan out to be even more distracting because I just want to be hanging with you and Keeks 24/7…

1. Jordan Younger Post author

I wish that tattoo was mine!! I have my balance zodiac symbol on my ribcage. Plotting my next tattoo as we speak. :)

4. Alanna

Hi! I just wanted to say hi and tell you how much I love reading your posts! I always relate to them, especially this one. I find it so hard to make time for myself and you just reminded me how important it is to spend some time alone to think and clear my mind. I love that you said everyone has the power to make a change in their life, and we can control our happiness. I always forget that. You’re so inspiring! Thank you :)

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Thank you so much, Alanna! This comment means the world to me. I am so thrilled that the post resonated with you and reminded you how important it is to make time for yourself to think, clear your mind and just be. It’s true that you are completely in control of your own life– why not fall freakishly in love with it?! Xox

5. Jackie LaPenta

This post hits the nail on my head for where I am at in life. I am unhappy with work, a close relationship, my body and where I am living right now (I think that captures pretty much every hour of the day). I feel very disconnected with myself to the point I feel like I live with a stranger in my own body. I am unable to make decisions because I don’t know who I am or what I want. I have also been unhappy for so long that being happy isn’t something I can even comprehend. I read so many articles and hope for that feeling, but have never really felt it.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Aww, Jackie, I totally understand what you’re saying. Trust me when I say I have days where I feel like that too, and I felt that way consistently for MANY years. Before I started making huge changes in my life (going vegan was the first huge change even though it ended up not working out long term, and the second change was truly moving on from a relationship that was no longer fulfilling me) I felt like there never really was going to be that “100% confident / happy” feeling within me, but I was so, so wrong. And I am here to tell you that YOU are so, SOOO capable of feeling that way. It is so possible, and there are little things you can do that will help you get to that point. Eek I can’t wait to share my book with you because I think/hope you will find it so helpful– and I will continue posting on the blog with similar sentiments because I want total happiness for you and for all! Xoxox

6. Cassie

Girl, this is everything in my life right now. I can’t tell you how many times I cried BEFORE I got to SF because change terrified me… but you can’t grow without change, right?? So it’s necessary. AND STOP BY AND SEE ME ON YOUR WAY BACK TO LA!! xoxo

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Change is so scary, but you are SO much stronger and braver than you even realize!! You moved across the country which is crazy scary and also crazy awesome. Ummm, I am SO down and might be coming by the city on Saturday so I will keep you super duper posted! Xoxox

7. Arman @ thebigmansworld

This is actually something I am dealing with right now…..literally. I feel so conflicted but I think my time up in the Us of A and Canada will be lifechanging and provide some perspective. Can’t wait for your book tour in Australia 😉

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Hmmm we are going to chit chat about this when you arrive because I want you to be ridiculously in love with your life… You deserve it a whole lot, mister.

8. Irina

Great post! I’m naturally very anti-change but I’ve taken leaps and bounds to loosen up these past few years. My current mentality is to “do one thing a year that scares you” and it’s been working wonders for me. It’s so important to be able to not only accept the changes life brings (change is, after all, the only constant in life), but to also have the ability to actively push yourself towards beneficial changes even if they terrify you.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

YES, do one thing a year that scares you!! Or better yet– one thing a MONTh that scares you!! So inspirational, babe. You go girl!

9. Allison

Loved. This. Changes are always so scary. I think a lot of the fear and anxiety around change comes from what other people think (or what we believe they’ll think!), when really, much of the time it’s hard to release ourselves from a certain “image” we’ve created in our minds. If you make a change that you believe is good for you, all that matters is you’re happy and healthy, and the people you love support you. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but “haters gonna hate” 😉 Life IS short!

CANNOT WAIT FOR YOUR BOOK! Sending you love and encouragement while you type away. So happy(!!!) and honoured to know you.

xoxoxox!

1. Jordan Younger Post author

I could not agree more!! The only thing that matters at all when it comes to change is that it makes you ridiculously happy. Others are always going to have their opinions about it. YOUR big change from Clean Wellness to Yummy Beet totally makes ME happy and I have an inkling it makes you really happy, too. :) Xoxox and YES, haters gonna hate!! And likers gonna liiiikeee!

10. Victoria

This is me all over. I’m almost 30 and have missed out on so much because I fear change and like to feel comfortable. I never try new things or make new friends. I don’t have much confidence and every day I am filled with new challenges and anxiety manages to creep into my day :(

Great post x

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Aww, Victoria, I am SO glad you realize this about yourself and you should be super proud that you know yourself well enough to know that fear of change is holding you back. I believe there is one way to go from here… in the direction of less fear!! Challenge yourself. You can totally do this. I am rooting for you and hope that you continue to find some inspiration in the blog– let’s inspire each other! Xox

11. Tori Leigh

Love everything about this post! We waste so much time dwelling on what we are unhappy with…it’s time to just make a change and focus on self love and positivity!!

12. Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut

What an inspiring post! I have been on all ends of the spectrum…from ONLY doing what I love to learning how to be content with feeling a little “eh” and complacent. I was in a phase for a long time where I was always chasing happiness…and the next thing…and the next thing…and suddenly I realized that sometimes just being stable and content is good, too. Life is all about learning, growing, evolving and taking the time to ask yourself questions. Sometimes I worry about not knowing exactly what I want and what I’m meant to do, but I’m at least glad I have the courage to dig deep and explore.

Best wishes on the book writing process. If it’s anything like this post, it’ll be awesome!!!

1. Jordan Younger Post author

YES, so true!!! Just being able to be stable and content is a huge part of the larger picture when it comes to finding and maintaining happiness. It’s totally (beyond!!) okay to not know exactly what you are meant to do– I think the best part of the journey is figuring it out and taking steps to watch it unfold. Digging deep and exploring is all you can do. I believe we are all meant to do a handful of things in life, and you will discover at LEAST one of them (if not more) and totally run with it. It sounds like you have more figured out about yourself than you even realize. :))) xoxox

13. Miss Polkadot

“You are in control, and you deserve to be ridiculously and utterly happy every single day” <3
    Girl, this is wonderful, inspiring and I'm so happy for you. The part about your childhood habits of dealing with change is cute. Maybe a little crazy, yes, but all the more adorable. Where would we be without some craziness in our lives??
    Actually, I have quite a few big plans in life that are sitting in the back of my mind not yet closely starting to unfold in real life because I don't know where to start. It's like with my post drafts: the longer I let them sit the more my hesitations to post or put things into action become. It's times like that when I need to breathe, tell myself everything starts with a small step and go.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Eek, YAY about your big plans that are aboooutt to unfold once you figure out where you want to start. It sounds like you’re in the perfect place with them– a place where your changes are so big and exciting that they kind of terrify you and are going to require all sorts of change, yet also realistic enough that you can begin to pursue them and make your dreams come true. SO true that everything begins with a small step and then eventually you’ve just gotta take that leap! Sounds like you have some exciting times ahead :)) and yes on the craziness being so important in our lives!!

14. Kelsey

I love this! I am currently struggling with making a BIG decision to either stay in NYC or pick up and move to a warmer climate (I’m thinking SoCal) when my lease ends in July. I know I would be happy there, but it’s not like I’m not happy where I am…and what if I make the wrong choice? How do I begin to look for jobs, apartments, etc from across the country? Will I regret it if I don’t move? Will I regret it if I do? So many things to think about and it’s SO scary to think about what will happen if I make the WRONG decision.

1. Jordan Younger Post author

Ahh, I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Actually, scary how much I know what you mean because I was in the midst of making the exact same decision between NYC and LA about 6 months ago. One thing you have to remind yourself is that there really is no wrong decision. You’re happy in NYC, and you also know you could be very happy in So Cal. Two wins! I felt for a bit like I made the wrong decision by moving back because I adored my life in NYC and was so happy there and so happy with my career and the people I was surrounded by, but a little pull in my heart told me I had to make the leap and come back to California. It was unexplainable. And even though the transition was challenging (transitions always are… sigh!) it was SO worth it and now I believe I am truly, 110% where I am meant to be. Would I be happy if I were still in NYC? YES. It’s scary because the two paths are so different yet both provide so many opportunities… you just have to follow your heart and the right decision will come. And if you DO regret your decision, there’s always the future to move or to move back!

15. Abigail

Love this! This came at the perfect time. I’m currently in the process of switching majors/schools and moving across the country-so basically starting over. I’m terrified, but I know in my heart that it’s the right thing to do and will make me truly happy. I’m so glad you wrote this!

16. Teffy

Loved this post Jordan!

I completely agree with you on the fact that much of it comes with getting older, growing up, and learning! I remember when I was in my late teens missing out on a party or get-together would make me super anxious that I would be missing out on something super cool, and I would go even though what I wanted was to stay home or do something else. Now, I do what makes me happy, and if that means staying home with a good movie or a good recipe, then I do it!

It can be very daunting to follow your dreams, and prioritizing is something very important. It’s so so important to prioritize your happiness, and then many things just fall into place!

I’ve got many things I’m passionate about, but my current job definitely isn’t one of them. Whilst I don’t completely hate it, if money was not an object I’d quit it in a heartbeat! It’s something I currently don’t have a choice about – while I absolutely love blogging, it doesn’t pay my bills. I feel like I’m in a situation where I know this job won’t last forever, and it enables me to do other things that make me happy (like going on trips and buying ingredients for my recipes!), so I see it as something I’ve got to do right now without losing sight of the greater picture and my dreams!

Again, amazing post =)

{Teffy’s Perks} X

17. Rachel

I just made an appointment to see a doctor to discuss some changes that I think I need to explore – scary, but picking up the phone is the worst part and it’s over!

Good luck with your book :)

18. Jen S.

Jordan, this post could NOT be more timely! One day ago I recognized fear as the liar s/he is (love that pic by the way), and launched a blog I’ve been thinking about since APRIL of this year. For six months I talked myself out of it, telling myself that folks wouldn’t want to read what I write, etc . . . but I think my topic is unique, and I hope it will resonate with others. I’m looking forward to feeling creative, to being more inspired, to connecting with like-minded women, and to having more #fallinlovewithyourself moments thanks to blogging. Fear, be damned! :)

19. Amanda

I’ve been needing a change and this post was just another sign. Your motivation is infectious, thank you!
    Ps just downloaded the app 😉 love it!

20. Pingback: Things I'm Totally Into {11.8.14} -

21. Pingback: . link love 11/9 . - . running with spoons .

22. Pingback: How to Make Your Own Magic - jjbegoniajjbegonia

23. Emily W

I love this post! It really speaks to me where I’m at right now, and you inspire me to make life changes just like you have. I think it’s a great perspective to look back on the year and see how many things have changed, but how happy you are for doing it! I’m SO terrified of change. Just like you said wall color changes and other small things would freak you out growing up, i’m the exact same way. I’m all about family traditions and daily habits/routines that when they get out of wack, I feel my anxiety building.

I found you through One Part Podcast and I’m so glad I did! I’ve loved following your journey and gaining inspiration from you for the last month or so. Keep crankin out that book lady! Can’t wait to read it :)